According to the Cleveland Clinic, more than 50% of women will experience noticeable hair loss at some point in their lives. The most common cause of hair loss in women is female-pattern hair loss (FPHL). This condition affects about one-third of susceptible women, which equals approximately 30 million women in the United States.
As women age, the incidence of hair loss increases. By age 50, about 40% of women have noticeable hair loss. And less than half of women get through life with a full head of hair.
While FPHL is the most common cause of hair loss in women, there are other causes as well, including:
- Menopause: Hair loss can be a side effect of menopause, as levels of estrogen decline.
- Thyroid problems: Both hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism can cause hair loss.
- Anemia: Iron deficiency anemia can lead to hair loss.
- Stress: Stress can trigger hair loss.
- Medical treatments: Some medical treatments, such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy, can cause hair loss.
- Alopecia areata: This is an autoimmune disease that causes hair loss in patches.
If you are concerned about hair loss, it is important to see a doctor to rule out any underlying medical conditions. There are also a number of treatment options available, including:
- Low-Level Laser Therapy: Laser hair regrowth products like the AUXO laser hair regrowth cap use laser diodes to encourage healthier hair and hair regrowth.
- Minoxidil (Rogaine): This topical medication can help to regrow hair.
- Finasteride (Propecia): This oral medication can help to slow down hair loss.
- Hair transplantation: This surgical procedure can be used to transplant hair from one part of the scalp to another.
If you are experiencing hair loss, there are a number of things you can do to help manage it:
- Follow a healthy diet: A healthy diet provides your body with the nutrients it needs to grow healthy hair.
- Get enough sleep: Sleep is essential for hair growth.
- Manage stress: Stress can trigger hair loss, so it is important to find ways to manage stress.
- Avoid harsh hair styling products: Harsh hair styling products can damage hair and make hair loss worse.
- Use a gentle shampoo and conditioner: A gentle shampoo and conditioner will help to keep your hair healthy.